Sunday, March 6, 2011

A long week of learning

It has been a few weeks since I last posted anything to my blog.  I thought I would sit down and see if I could come up with anything.

Last Saturday, my mother-in-law was admitted to the hospital, the week following was completely full of ups and downs.  The ups and downs were not only with her health, but with her family as well.  We thought she had a medical power of attorney and had named me in the paperwork, however, once I found the paperwork, it had no names written in.  That was the first hurdle to overcome.  I stepped aside and allowed her children to take over.  In reality they did not want to do it, and the fighting started.  Currently, two of them are not speaking and one is terrified of another and what is going to happen. 

The one thing the children did not want to handle was the fact that their oldest sibling is developmentally delayed, and the boys have never dealt with it well.  I stepped in and started being the person she could rely upon to assist her.  She is fairly independent for her disabilities, she works, and drives, but she does not cook, cannot pay the bills (she does not know how to simply add or subtract.   She knows routine, and right now her routine is completely out of sync.  She has to check in with some one knows what she is doing and what her plan is and so they can validate what she is doing is correct.  I have been trying very hard to not upset her by telling her I do not have the time to answer her phone calls every 5 minutes and she does not have to check in with me.  I now understand that this is how her brain works and she is just trying to make sure she is ok.

 I know that I will get through this, God will not give me more than I can handle.  I just need alot of prayer especially for strength to be able to allow my husband to lean on me and patience to deal with his sister.  I am really blessed to have the support system for me that I have, without the people, who allow me to lean on them, I do not think, I would be able to allow others to lean on me.  Karen, mom and Linda, thank you for being my strong pillars.  I hope that if the tables ever turn, I am able to be the strength for you.  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment